Friday 11 July 2014

Flames of War: the march to war

Something a little different from Bushido. Flames of War is my one of my favorite miniature games, it's a 15mm game with company sized battles with historical armies, mainly from the WW2 era.

Now in the Netherlands there's going to be an official Battlefront tournament in Oktober, while this seems to be a far away. For Flames of War you need to play a lot because of the immense amount of forces available.
So i'll be posting my armylists, experience and thoughts till the tournament and of course when the time comes a report of the tournament itself.

Here is some info about the tournament on the Battlefront website.
http://www.flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=4539

The army i'll be playing will be from the Axis side, it's SS-Freiwilligen-PanzergrenadierKompanie Nederland.
This is a motorised infantry company, meaning that in almost all cases i'll be defending and based on this i've build my company up. Now I chose this list on it's background and it's rules. For the historical part this company was part of the SS-Freiwilligen Legions and was recruited from the Netherlands, being Dutch this appealed to me. Now they also have some nice rules from the company and from the platoons themselves.

The company rules are Instant Readiness and Following Orders. Instant Readiness says that any platoon from the company can always make a stormtrooper move even if pinned and can move towards the enemy. Following Orders says that if an platoon became pinned in the assault phase you can make a morale test to remove pinned after the assault is over. The Pak 40 and the HMG weapon platoons can make combat attachments, this means that I can attach weapons from the platoons to the infantry platoons.

Armylist made thanks to easyarmy.com

The company is made up out of 7 platoons, HQ and a warrior.As should be with a motorised platoon absolutely everything has transports ensuring me that everything will be where they're needed. 7 platoons is normally a bad number for a company having to go on the defensive as only half rounded down are deployed, meaning 3 on the board 4 on reserve. But with the weapon platoons I can make combat attachments before deploying reducing my total platoons to 6, this means I effectively have 4 platoons on the table with 3 in reserve.

The company has excellent defense against tanks with every platoon having 5 panzerfausts (CC, command and 3 from the mg stands). The small amount of stands on the table will mean I will have trouble with infantry hordes to help against this I have an HMG platoon. Now depending on my opponent I decide what I will attach to my infantry platoons, when fighting tanks I attach the pak 40 platoon, when fighting infantry the HMG platoon. This gives the company a good amount of flexibilty as is necessary on a tournament.

For divisional support the King Tiger is an expensive toy, it's very hard to destroy and will most likely destroy any tank in a one on one fight. Problem is it's high cost at 345 points it's one of the most expensive tanks in the game. The idea for taking this tank besides how cool a King Tiger is, is that it's my answer against enemy heavy tanks with an AT 16, especially now that the new book Bridge at Remagen has come out with the pershing there's a reasonably chance i'll be seeing those on the table. The Panzerspäh are cheap, fast armoured cars they're usefull for lifting gone to ground, hunting other armoured cars or helping defend against artillery. Now my favorite toys the 15cm sFH18 howitzers with the high AT, FP 1+ and the bunkerbuster rule they're excellent to direct fire against tanks and attacking infantry. They're also great firing bombardments with a max range of 2 meters, I don't have to worry about the range and still have a AT of 5 against top armour staying a threat against tanks and a firepower of 2+.

Finally I chose the warrior general Dietrich von Saucken, with him I het a re-roll on my stormtrooper move on all platoons within his command range of 15 cm and a re-roll on a reserve dice each turn, helping me get those all important reserves fast.

It's gonna be awhile till I get a chance to play but i'll posting pictures of my company soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment